Do I have to pay a tenant as per our contract if he reported me to the state board as retaliation? Posted on June 11, 2011

I had a tenant in my apartment in Massachusetts and we signed an addendum to the lease which states that the lease will terminate early on May 31, 2011 (originally August 31, 2011) and I will pay him $2000 and a half of his mover's fee. The reason for the addendum was that his wife got pregnant after signing of the lease and to save expenses of de-leading the apartment, they had the baby in May and since moved out. When they were looking for a new place to live, I received a call from a rental agent for their reference and I told him they are leaving the apartment to find a de-leaded apartment. Apparently the apartment they were applying for was not de-leaded and the owner rejected their application. He blamed me for them not getting the apartment and called the board of health for asbestos in the basement to retaliate a month before moving out. Do I still have to pay him the money?