Do I have to pay the insurance company to get my license back? 11 Answers as of April 29, 2013

I had a driving while intoxicated related auto accident in February 2008 with no auto insurance. I was found guilty because I hit the parked car. The insurance company sued me and the arbitrator said damages were about $14,000. The insurance company put a hold on my license.

Absolutely.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
Yes. You must either pay them, in full or enter into a payment agreement that is amenable to the insurance company in order to be able to drive.
Yes. Pay the damages you caused. I know it is old fashioned to be responsible but that is the way it used to be.
That is the way it works, and until you pay back the insurance company or, if you're in Michigan, the fund, you will be unable to procure a drivers license.
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
The insurance company can?t put a hold on your license. Only a court, or the department of motor vehicles, can do that. Call the DMV and ask the status of your license.
    Yes, you need to payoff the judgment to get your license back.
    In Nevada you would need to pay them back, enter into a payment arrangement with them, file bankruptcy, or wait for the statute of limitations to run before you can get your license back.
    The insurance company put nothing on your license, the state did for driving without insurance with an accident resulting, so until you make retribution you will not be allowed to drive legally.
    You have to reach a settlement with the insurer. They might settle for a lesser amount or for payments. One possible compromise would be to confess judgment for the whole amount and make payments toward the judgment.
    Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
    Yes. You generally have to make some arrangement with them to pay them back before your license will be released.
    Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
    Your license was suspended, basically, because you didn't have liability ins. You ran afoul of The Financial Responsibility Act. You can enter in to a payment plan with the ins. co. for the car you hit as a way to get the DOL to reinstate your Driver License.