Do I have to pay the insurance company to get my license back? 11 Answers as of April 29, 2013

I had a driving while intoxicated related auto accident in February 2008 with no auto insurance. I was found guilty because I hit the parked car. The insurance company sued me and the arbitrator said damages were about $14,000. The insurance company put a hold on my license.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/29/2013
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
Yes. You must either pay them, in full or enter into a payment agreement that is amenable to the insurance company in order to be able to drive.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/26/2013
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Yes. Pay the damages you caused. I know it is old fashioned to be responsible but that is the way it used to be.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/25/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
That is the way it works, and until you pay back the insurance company or, if you're in Michigan, the fund, you will be unable to procure a drivers license.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/25/2013
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
The insurance company can?t put a hold on your license. Only a court, or the department of motor vehicles, can do that. Call the DMV and ask the status of your license.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/25/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Yes, you need to payoff the judgment to get your license back.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/25/2013
    Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
    In Nevada you would need to pay them back, enter into a payment arrangement with them, file bankruptcy, or wait for the statute of limitations to run before you can get your license back.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/25/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    The insurance company put nothing on your license, the state did for driving without insurance with an accident resulting, so until you make retribution you will not be allowed to drive legally.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 4/25/2013
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    You have to reach a settlement with the insurer. They might settle for a lesser amount or for payments. One possible compromise would be to confess judgment for the whole amount and make payments toward the judgment.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 4/25/2013
    Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
    Yes. You generally have to make some arrangement with them to pay them back before your license will be released.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 4/25/2013
    Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
    Your license was suspended, basically, because you didn't have liability ins. You ran afoul of The Financial Responsibility Act. You can enter in to a payment plan with the ins. co. for the car you hit as a way to get the DOL to reinstate your Driver License.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/25/2013
Click to View More Answers: