Do I have to pay fines if the home inspector did not send a report in on time and made no effort to respond to my emails? Posted on May 15, 2011

I called a Home Inspector to inspect our home in the 10-Day deadline that we had to change our mind about purchasing a home. He came out on Day7 and said we would receive the report on Day8. He sent an email saying that it would be sent later on Day8, but it was not. On Day9 I sent an email saying that I had not received it and was worried that I would not get it in time, clearly stating that this was Day9 of 10. On Day11 I not only never received a response back (when other responses were always immediate), but I still did not have the report. I sent an email saying to forget about finishing the report because it was now useless to me. I received an email not a few hours later saying that it had indeed been sent on Day8 and that I was just trying to get out of paying him. He said to check my junk mail that it might have gone into there. That was the response that I should have gotten on Day9 when I was still within the deadline. My junk mail does not have the report. Do I have to pay? I've tried emailing him several times. He always responded quickly. But come Day9 I never got a response to the email I'd sent saying that I still did not have the report. I sent an email on Day11 saying to forget about it, that it was too late, only then did he contact me saying it was sent on Day8 and that I should check Junk mail...which I did and it's not in there. This report is useless to me now that my 10-Days are up. I have not received the report, and no effort was made on his part to correct this on time. He says the report will age and accumulate interest, but I don't want the report, nor do I even have it! I never signed a contract with this man. Do I have to pay?