Do I have to pay child support if I make more than my ex? 6 Answers as of July 05, 2011

I live in Florida and I wanted to know if my boyfriend owes child support. Will I have to pay it if my income is more than his?

Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
A lot will depend on where the child primarily resides and how many overnight visits the "non-custodial" parent has. Other factors include who is paying for the child's health insurance as well as if there are any daycare expenses.
Rhonda R. Werner Schultz, PL
Rhonda R. Werner Schultz, PL | Rhonda R. Werner Schultz
Child support in Florida is based on a formula: Your net income, the other parent's net income, day care, child's health insurance cost, and the amount of timesharing each parent has with the child. You can also include known and recurring uncovered medical expenses in the formula. If you have substantial timesharing and you earn more money than the other parent, you may end up paying child support. It all depends on the various factors and you can find out by running a child support guidelines calculation. See www.flcourts.org , self help, family law forms, for a child support guidelines worksheet to run the formula.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
Child support is based on the combined net incomes of the two parties and the amount of time, calculated by overnights, that each party spends with the child. Therefore, there is no way to answer this question without knowing those facts. In general though, unless he has equal time with the child and your income is significantly higher than his, he will most likely still have to pay child support.
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
All parties must pay for their offspring. the amount is a formula by statute.