Do I have to pay child support if I have terminated my parental rights and the child is getting adopted? 17 Answers as of June 26, 2013

I am currently paying child support. I am allowing them to be adopted by someone else so I have terminated my parental rights. Do I still have to pay child support if my rights are terminated and the children are getting adopted. The adopting has not been finalized yet but the process has started as far as I know.

Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
No.
Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
No.
James Family Law Firm, P.C. | Amber Yerkey James
Once the child is adopted you will no longer have a child support obligation. However, you will need to get an order from the court that last heard your child support case that terminates your child support obligation just to be safe.
Law Offices of Dana A. Azar | Dana A. Azar
Once the child is adopted, you no longer have to pay child support. However, you should pay child support until the time that your parental rights have actually been determined or the adoption is completed by a Court order.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
Once your legal rights are terminated support should stop but you will probably have to go to court to stop it. The different courts do not always know what's going on. You will have to pay any arrearages.
    No and that order should have entered once the adoption was approved. Check with the court every state is a little different on the timing issue, but you most certainly do not have to pay support anymore.
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
    The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
    Hire a lawyer to represent you in the adoption so you can be sure to end the payments.
    There is no way in Colorado that YOU can terminate your parental rights and legal obligations - only a court can do that. A court order for child support remains in effect until a court terminates it and normally a court will not terminate child support until the adoption is completed. Normally, termination of parental rights in an adoption case does not occur until about the same time as the adoption is completed. If the adoption is not occurring in Colorado, you need to consult an attorney in that state to determine when your rights and obligations are terminated.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Once the adoption is final, you will no longer owe future child support. The adoption will not erase the past due child support which may have accrued. Consult with an attorney in your area about this.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    Your support obligation remains until the court signs the Adoption Order, then it stops.
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    Child support will terminate when the adoption is final (the termination of your rights does not trigger the termination of the child support obligation).