Do I have to pay alimony or child support? 11 Answers as of April 15, 2013

We just got married two months ago, and found out recently that she's pregnant with me. However, we have major issues. I have no freedom with her. I work hard, averaging 14 hour work days 5-7 days a week in order to support the both of us. She's unemployed and has made no effort to find a job. We fight every single day that I'm off work, and most nights when I come home. So I've decided I want a divorce. However, I'm active duty military, and my contract ends in five months. Once I'm out, I will have no job. She will move back to Washington state, I'll move back to Virginia, and we were married in California. Since we've only been married for two months and she's only maybe 1 month into her pregnancy, do I have to pay child support if I've already told her that I want to have nothing to do with her or the child as soon as the divorce is final? What can I do to reduce my payments if I am forced to pay child support/alimony? How will being a non-active veteran affect the situation? Can PTSD help in possibly making me medically exempt from paying?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rebecca Rainwater
Rebecca Rainwater | Rebecca Rainwater
Nothing will exempt you from your duty to support your child.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/15/2013
Mark A. Manning, PC. | Mark A. Manning
In Michigan alimony is determined by a variety of factors, including length of marriage, ability to pay and spousal need. Considering your marriage is only 2 months old. I highly doubt you have any alimony exposure.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/11/2013
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
No 2 month marriage gets alimony.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/10/2013
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Spousal support may not be in your future but child support certainly is. You should consult a family law attorney to go over your parental rights and responsibilities.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/9/2013
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
Alimony, probably no. Child support, if it is your child, yes!
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/9/2013
    The Law Offices of Tres A. Porter | Tres A. Porter
    1. If the child is yours, you can be legally obligated to pay child support, as well as medical costs not covered by insurance and daycare expenses and would be obligated to do so unless the child was to become legally adopted or your parental rights and responsibilities were otherwise severed. As this obligation is for the child, even if you were to reach an agreement, it would not be legally binding in the event either the other parent or the department of child support services determines that whatever your agreement was does not meet the guideline formula in that state. 2. In most states, (definitely in California) a major component of the formula that determines the amount of child support is the amount of time you have the child in your custody. Your income and the other parent's income are factors as well along with deductions for things like health insurance, and other dependents you are legally obligated to support. 3. PTSD itself would not exempt you from paying. Depending on the impact that PTSD has on your ability to earn an income it could become something for the Court to consider, but this is not at all a given and would depend quite a bit on your actual diagnosis and whether you are determined to be disabled. You should consult with a family law attorney in your area as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Shur Law Co., LPA
    Shur Law Co., LPA | Tonya VanBenschoten
    No, you have to support your child. The amount of support will be based off several factors including the income of both parties.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Fran Brochstein
    Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
    In the State of Texas, a parent is required to support his/her child. Even people in prison are ordered to support their children within 30 days of getting out of prison. Therefore, PTSD is no excuse for not paying child support. A court cannot make you see the child or participate in your child's life but it can make you support the child until the age of 18 in the State of Texas if healthy. If the child is unhealthy then you might have to support the child for the child's entire lifetime. Child support is a debt that is not dischargeable by bankruptcy. It is a debt that survivors your death. It can be taken from your Social Security benefits. It will ruin your credit so you cannot buy a vehicle or a house. You can lose your driver's license or passport. It can impact your ability to rent an apartment or get car insurance or even a job. You need to talk to an attorney now about your rights regarding parenthood. Alimony is a totally different story and you need to talk to an attorney about that too. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    You would only have to pay one month of alimony if any. The child is yours and your responsibility, so file for a custody hearing and request some time. If you have no time with the child, your support will be the maximum based on your income (if any). It's going to take months to get a hearing, so if you can reach an agreement, it'd be best as time is so short. However, it's unlikely she'd agree to no child support. Both of you will have to work to support your child. PTSD could affect your parenting time, so it's not a good argument. Even on unemployment, you would have to pay child support.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Law Office of John J. Stanton | John J. Stanton
    You will have to pay child support. PTSD or unemployment may delay the payments for a very short period, but otherwise the court will order child support. If you separate soon, it is unlikely that you will pay any spousal support.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/9/2013
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    You create a child, you have a responsibility to support the child. Deal with it. Your angst will ease up sooner once you do. Ok, one factor that reduces the dollars paid for child support is the number of nights the child lives with the father as compared to the mother. Of course, one must be involved in the life of the child for that to be a viable option. If you truly wish to try and forget you helped bring a life into the world, pray she meets a nice person who wants to marry her and adopt the child, then get the hades out of their way. Given the shortness of your marriage, alimony is not likely to be ordered.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 4/9/2013
Click to View More Answers: