Do I have to maintain my M-1 st status once I file for AOS to permanent resident if I am marrying a USC? 3 Answers as of June 22, 2011

My husband is a USC who I married while on my M-1 student Visa. Because we are long distance right now, I wish to move up to be with him. Am I permitted to leave my current studies while my AOS is pending? Or would that mean I am out of Status?

Not really. But to be on the safe side if you don't have an attorney handling this for you, you want to keep it going until you get some kind of assurance that your green card is on the way. My clients do not have to maintain any other status after I file their AOS. That is because I know their case and am confident as to the outcome. In this case, I know nothing about your case hence my comment above. Good luck!
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
answer: You do not have to maintain your M1 status once you file AOS. You will lose your M1 status if you stop going to school. However, if your AOS is approved eventually, you will be fine. If your AOS is denied, you may be put in removal proceedings as you are not in legal status.
Once you have filed your AOS application and received the receipt notice, you are technically given quasi-legal status in the US. So you can stop complying with your underlying non immigrant visa.