Do I have to leave the state for child custody visitation? 5 Answers as of May 23, 2011

My Ex-Husband and I got a divorce in the state of TX. Since then I have relocated to CA and have lived here for over six months. In our decree it states that I can relocate wherever I choose to. I have sole custody of our children ages 3 and 1. In the decree it states if I move he has to visit with the children in the city which I live in and cannot take the children out of state. He lives in VA. Neither of us has resided in TX for over 6 months. He is able to take them for two weeks and it states he has to give me written notice. He has certified a letter he sent to my old residence in TX stating he will be picking up our children at my old TX residence. I gave him notice I had relocated to CA over six months ago. Can he legally con me into traveling to TX for the visitation?

No if you have proof of your change of address.
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
No, he cannot. You may wish to have your Texas Judgment filed in California since you are now residing here. You would then provide notice that the matter is in California. You may wish to seek legal counsel to assist you in this matter.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
This will of course depend on the exact words in your Judgment. However, the issue can be resolved in your favor no matter what it says, if you obtain competent legal representation.
I don't think that he cancon you into going to Texas, under the circumstances that you relate. However, I would recommend that you consult with a local, experienced Family Law Attorney in your county, and show that attorney the Custody orders that you addressed, and the letter that your ex-husband sent to Texas, for answers based on the specific contents of those things.
No. If you gave notice of the move, then he needs to come where you are. Send him a certified letter advising of your address and telling him that he must pick up at your home in California.