Do I have to install an IID after three years of probation from a DUI? 8 Answers as of July 21, 2011

After I got my DUI my probation required me to install an IID for 18 months in order to get my restricted. I haven't had a car since the DUI and now my probation (3 years) is almost up. Do I still have to install the IID even after the 3 years probation is finished? Also I want to get a car from a friend out of state, but I can't get a license to drive it back without proof of an IID being installed in the car... kind of a catch 22.

A.L.A. Law Group, LLP
A.L.A. Law Group, LLP | Lauren M. Mayfield
You should contact the DMV mandatory actions until right away to find out if they will accept proof of a bill of sale showing that you got rid of the car you owned when you got the DUI. Typically, you either have to show that you got rid of the car or install the IID device. If the 18 month period is up you should contact the DMV about receiving a full license back immediately. Typically for your first DUI you are eligible for a restricted license after a 30 day suspension so you are well beyond that at this point, at which time they require the IID but since you are outside of the 18 month period also see if they will accept proof that you got rid of the vehicle to get a full license back.
You have to install it if ordered by the court or as a condition of DMV probation though that would be unusual. When your court probation is up I would check with DMV to make sure. I
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
Go back to the court which ordered you to get the IID and ask for an order relieving you from this term of probation.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
Generally, yes. If you were arrested for a DUI after July 1, 2010 in one of the four counties participating in the "pilot program," you are required to install an ignition interlock device ("IID") on every vehicle you own. This means you will have to notify the DMV with a DL-924 form, pay a $45 administrative service fee, and meet all other reinstatement requirements before the DMV can reinstate, reissue, or restrict your driver's license. The four counties in the program are Los Angeles, Alameda, Sacramento, and Tulare. If you fail to comply with any IID requirements, the DMV will not give you credit toward your IID restriction period, which means your restriction period will be extended until you do comply. If you do not have access to a car, then you can request an exemption to get out of having to install an IID. You will need to fill out a DL-4055B form. However, you may be required to submit the form to the DMV within 30 days of receiving the suspension notice in the mail. Since every case involving an IID installation is unique, it is best to contact an experienced Orange County DUI and DMV attorney to find out what exactly is required of you and what your options are. If you or a loved one have been charged with or convicted of a DUI in Orange County, it is very important that you speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Your 18 month court order has passed so the courts will not require an IID. however sometimes the DMV does require one. You should call or stop by DMV for the answer
    This is insane. Just tell the P.O. you no longer own the car (show him the sales papers) and you also don't own any other car. Do not mention that you are planning to buy one elsewhere. I would change my mind about buying the out of state car although youmay again change your mind back once your 3 years of probation is up. Once you have finished your probation period they cannot make you do anything. You only need to put that device on a car you own or regularly drive and since neither applies to you, you are in good shape.
    No, IID is not required when you are done with probation. In fact, the IID requirement should have been much shorter than 3 years.
    You have to do whatever, and only, what the court or DMV ordered you to do. The reasonable interpretation is that DMVs 18 month requirement only begins upon you applying for restricted license, no matter how long you wait to do so. The same logic applies to Alcohol School requirements when ordered as a condition of getting back your license. DMV is the decision maker, not your attorney, so contact them to confirm my opinion. You could have IID installed in the out of state vehicle where it is now, then show proof to DMV and get your license.