Do I have to have custody of my step son to petition for him? 2 Answers as of May 27, 2011

I am a US Citizen. I want to petition my husbands son. He lives in another country. Do we have to have custody of him in order to get his VISA?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
No. You don't need to have custody in order to petition your step son. As long as you married your husband before your stepson turned 18 then you can move forward with the petition. Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/27/2011
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
He must be under 21 and have been under 18 when you married. You need to speak with an immigration attorney. For a free consultation you may contact my office or follow the link and fill out the form on my website.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: