Do I have to have an attorney to get a divorce? 14 Answers as of January 31, 2013

I have been separated for almost 5 years, custody and visitation has been taken care of and separation agreement signed. I want a quick and cheap divorce but I'm lost on what to do.

DO IT YOURSELF DIVORCE, pllc | Robert L. Willis, Jr
No, anyone can represent themselves in court but the Judges will hold you to the same standard for pleadings, timeliness and understand of the issues as that of an attorney. A service like, "do it yourself divorce" can give you the information you need to navigate the process without and attorney for a very reasonable price.
Donaldson Stewart, PC
Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
You do not have to have an attorney to get divorced. There are certified document preparers who can assist at a lower cost than an attorney; however, they cannot represent you in court and cannot give you legal advice. Even if you intend to represent yourself, I recommend you consult with an attorney to discuss this matter in greater detail.
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
See if you and your wife can file a joint petition.
Law Office of Joanna North
Law Office of Joanna North | Joanna North
The fact that you state that you are lost and don't know what to do, makes it apparent that you need an attorney. Although you can represent yourself, it is never a good idea. Sometimes attorneys will offer services that cover a limited amount of time, or services that limit their representation. This can offer you an economical solution to your problem, while having legal representation.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
All divorces take six months from the date the other side is served with the divorce papers. If there isn't a lot to fight about, see a paralegal who can help you with all the paper work for a lot less than a lawyer will charge. Start there and see what that will cost. You will probably be pleasantly surprised.
    Downing Law Firm | George E Downing. Jr.
    It is possible but be sure to follow the court rules.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    Quick and cheap is good but not always the best thing to do.
    Pingelton Law Firm | Dan Pingelton
    Can't tell you how many times I've heard this years after someone got a "cheap divorce" and then realized something wasn't done correctly and they're in a world of hurt. It almost always takes much more money to fix it than to get it right in the first place. If it can even be fixed later on (and sometimes it cannot be).
    No, you are not required to have an attorney.
    Zales Law Office
    Zales Law Office | Nicholas C Zales
    You can do it yourself but I highly recommend you obtain counsel. You want to make sure your divorce is done right and that you get out of it what you want and deserve.
    Fran Brochstein
    Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
    The first red flag for me is that you've sign a separation agreement. Texas does not have legal separation. Texas does not use "separation agreements" so where did you get this document? It is not legally binding in the State of Texas, so it is worthless. It sounds like you own property, so even though you want to do it quick and cheap, you might be creating a nightmare. Also, the custody and visitation must be incorporated in the Final Decree of Divorce properly and this is not easily done. I suggest that you look on this website and on the State Bar of Texas website for an attorney that can help you. If you are indigent then you can try to locate a pro bono (free) attorney through a non-profit agency. Look on the State Bar of Texas website or call a local law school.
    Kalil & Eisenhut, LLC | Michael N. Kalil
    Simple answer is no. Most clients, however, find the pro se divorce packets difficult to work through.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    Read a book on divorce if you don't want to hire an attorney. Or buy the packages the court sells. It's a confusing process.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    No, you don't have to get an attorney. However getting through the process without one can be difficult.