Do I have to go to court in another state or does he have to come to my state? 2 Answers as of July 27, 2017

I have two girls and the father of my kids hasn’t been around for 12 years. He doesn't pay child support nor does he call and check up on them. My husband wants to adopt my daughters and get their last name change. He's living in another state.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Start the adoption proceedings and as a part of that he can either voluntarily relinguish his rights or the court can teminate them.. Your lawyer will know the process.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/27/2017
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
You can file the stepparent adoption petition in the State and county where the child presently resides with you. You can serve the Petition in person or by certified mail to the father in the other State.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2017
Click to View More Answers: