Do I have to go to court in another state? 2 Answers as of April 11, 2012

My baby's father lives in MA and we live in PA and he is suing for parternity and visitation. Do I have do go to court in MA?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Varadi, Hair & Checki, LLC
Varadi, Hair & Checki, LLC | Galen M. Hair
Regardless, if a court serves you and commands your presence, you should appear. There is a fairly uniform law between all states that governs when a court has jurisdiction over a child. Based on the very vague facts provided, it sounds like the proper court to hear issues relating to paternity and visitation is in Pennsylvania. But, depending on the circumstances such as whether and for how long you and the child lived in Massachusetts, the Massachusetts courts may also have jurisdiction over visitation for your child. In any case, it is always safest to have an attorney move to dismiss the case in Massachusetts for lack of personal jurisdiction, subject matter jurisdiction, and improper venue.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 4/11/2012
Correia-Champa & Mailhot
Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
Where is your child? Your child needs to be a resident for six months in a state in order for that state to have jurisdiction of the minor child.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/10/2012
Click to View More Answers: