Do I have to go to bankruptcy court? 5 Answers as of April 05, 2011

If I settled a case with a creditor several years ago ( I have a copy of the canceled check), and now the case is showing online as status call, but I did not receive any letter or summons, do I have to go to the court date? If I hadn't looked it up I wouldn't even know about it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
You should check with the creditor. They simply may have not filed a satisfaction with the court on this matter. Confirm with the creditor directly that their records show the matter is settled and you should always be sure to get settlements in writing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/5/2011
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
The creditor probably filed the case and did not proceed because you settled the matter. Instead of spending the costs and energy in dismissing the case, the creditor is probably letting it go until the court decides to dismiss it for want of prosecution (or bc no action has been taken during a period of time like 1yr). If you want, contact the creditor and send them a copy of your settlement letter and a copy of the check and ask them to dismiss the case.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/28/2011
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
I have no idea what this about. You need to consult with a lawyer OR call the other side and simply ask what is going on.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/25/2011
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
I do not know what "status call" means, but if you are in doubt as to whether or not you should go, you should go to be sure. Bring a copy of the cancelled check with you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/25/2011
Ferguson & Ferguson
Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
Call and talk to their attorney. Provide them the canceled check. They should dismiss the case. If not, go to the hearing or they might default you.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 3/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: