Do I have to give a laptop gift back after 3 years? 7 Answers as of July 11, 2014

My ex girlfriend bought me a laptop in 2012. She now out the blue sends me a text threatening to take me to court because she has the receipt. It was a gift and was considered as such this whole time. I did not deceive or trick her or use her; she simply got it for me. Her family member works for court office and they have a family attorney so she's threatening me as if I stand zero chance. But the computer is in my name and was delivered to my address and has all my information on it since it was gifted to me. Is there really a way she can take me to court and win it back?

It sounds like she has no case.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
If the intent of her giving you the laptop was that it was a gift, then you probably get to keep it. I would need some more information about the situation, for example, if you made any promises to return the gift or make payments to her on the gift.
There's a way, but you sounds like you have a good claim it was a gift. Let her sue!
EDWARD M. MILLER, PC
EDWARD M. MILLER, PC | EDWARD M. MILLER
If it was a gift, it is yours, not hers. You get to keep it. The problem is one of proof if she says it was a loan, and is believed, she can reclaim it. If it goes to litigation, she has the burden of proof. If the proofs are equal, you, as defendant prevail. More significant: the value of a 3 ear old laptop is so small that no attorney would bother filing suit. Stand fast.
Legally, a gift is a gift. Otherwise it is merely a loan. Morally, it is up to you. If you still like her as a person and don't want to be embarrassed when you encounter her "out and about," then you might consider returning the gift. It is sort of like when the girl breaks off the engagement, she is supposed to return the ring.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    Only if she proves it was not a gift. It is suggested you not discuss the issue with her. If you have anyone that has knowledge it was a gift, use that person if she takes you to court. Or knowing the reason, if any, for the gift.
    Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
    Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
    I would rather be on your side of this than hers. Also a three year old computer isn't worth the time or effort it would take her to sue you. Family attorneys aren't free.