Do I have to get guardianship of my aunt to move her? Posted on May 23, 2011

My aunt by marriage is in an Illinois Nursing Home and has a public guardian (financial). Her closest relative has left the state and I am trying to get her transferred to nursing home closer to me. The public guardian says they cannot move her until they get her VA benefits transferred. But the State has been paying Oak Ridge and there is nothing due to them. 30 days ago my aunt was admitted to the Hospital w/bruising, cuts, bedsores, depression and severe dehydration. We have been asking for 6 months to move her. How can I speed this up? My attorney (friend) says file a petition for guardianship but how does that help? No money in estate and she will be a ward of the state anyhow. I would just like her closer to family where we can keep track of her and the way she is being treated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: