Do I have to file I-131 for long time absence with IR1 green card? 4 Answers as of April 07, 2015

My husband has an IR1 green card expiring in 10 years. Can we travel and stay aroad for a year or more, or do we absolutely have to file form I 131 for a travel dcument before leavng?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nachman Phulwani Zimovcak (NPZ) Law Group, P.C. | David Nachman
Filing a reentry permit is something that is always optional. However, it is definitely recommended if you were going to be outside United States for the period of time you have specified in your query. However, please note that having close ties to the United States to show that you have not relinquished your lawful permanent residence there is just as important. For example, it is recommended that you file US tax returns with US address on an annual basis. They should not be the nonimmigrant tax returns. Also, be sure to be receiving mail had a US address. It is also helpful if you have a deed or lease to property in the US. Also, bank account information and utility information is generally helpful. This information is provided to you as a courtesy and should not be construed as legal advice by our law firm.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 4/7/2015
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Nowadays, I recommend that green card holders get a reentry permit if they plan to be out of the country for more than a few months and certainly if they have regular long-term trips abroad.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/7/2015
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
Yes, in order to preserve his LPR status, he should apply for re-entry permit
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/7/2015
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You absolutely have to have reentry permit if you are planning on being out the US for a year and would like to keep your green card.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/7/2015
Click to View More Answers: