Do I have to enter drug treatment if I'm on DOC probation? 2 Answers as of July 12, 2011

I was sent to prison for an Assault 1. It was my first felony. While in prison I was forced by DOC to enter Intensive Outpatient. Now that I'm out I am still on probation and am being forced to continue treatment. My J&S does not say anything about drug treatment and I'm not on DOSA. Just want to know what are the limits on my Probation Officers authority. Thank you.

Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
He is limited to enforcing the J & S. If your J&S doesn't require it, he should not be ordering it. You should look carefully at the J & S though, because it might contain language about refraining from alcohol, and compliance being monitored by DOC.
I'll have to do some research and get back to you. The law recently changed to give DOC more authority to impose additional conditions of community custody. My best advice would be to get a substance abuse evaluation for your self and follow the recommendations of the treatment counselor.