Do I have to disclose bankruptcy to employers? 12 Answers as of February 14, 2011

I filed to chapter 7 (personal) and 13 (business) due to the economy. However, prior to the financial crisis I had a credit score close to 800. My business is gone and I've interviewed at a bank as a personal banking representative, do I bring up the bankruptcy? Will this absolutely exclude me from the position? What should I do?

Well you have to be honest. You could lose a job after years of service if they find out you lied on the application. You need to be honest about the the questions they ask.
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
You have a legal right to file bankruptcy. It is illegal for employers to discriminate against you because you have filed bankruptcy. Still, I see no reason for you to bring up this subject unless you are asked directly, "Have you ever filed bankruptcy?"
No you do have to report this. But if they find out they may not discriminate against you in hiring, promotion ect.
You only have to answer if they ask you. It should not automatically disqualify you.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
Only if asked and if they're going to run a credit report they will know.
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    Typically, a bankruptcy will not come up in a job interview. However, some jobs that deal with finances, many be impacted because the employer wants to ensure the prospective employee is responsible with money. If you are directly asked, you can decide how you want to answer.
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    Generally you do not, but there may be certain financially sensitive jobs or jobs which require a security clearance where you may have a contractual obligation to notify them. You should discuss your situation with your bankruptcy lawyer.
    You do not have to disclose it unless you are asked directly. The employer does not need to find out although it is public information and the employers can find the information if they search for it. I do not understand how you can have both a Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 at the same time. Chapter 13 cases can only be filed by human beings and not entities such as LLCs or Corporations. Therefore, maybe you filed a Chapter 7 for a corporation or LLC and a personal Chapter 13. If you do not own a corporation or LLC I cannot understand how you could have both cases. Therefore, maybe you need to understand better what you are doing. You must have a lawyer that can explain it to you. Whether the bankruptcy will exclude you from the position you are seeking with the bank depends on the bank's policy but it should not have an effect.
    You don't have to volunteer the information, but if they ask you can't lie about it. Whether it affects your employment or not depends on their policies, so I cannot answer that. I can tell you that if you can prove that you didn't get the job because you filed bankruptcy, you can sue them for discrimination under 11 USC 525.
    The Orantes Law Firm
    The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
    You do not need to volunteer that you filed for bankruptcy relief if not asked. However, if an employment application or potential employer asks whether you have filed bankruptcy, you should definitely disclose it and disclose that you received your discharge and are rebuilding your credit rating. The problem we see is not that people filed for bankruptcy, but rather that they lie in the application or in person.
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    Only if they ask you.