Do I have to disclose an expunged arrest when applying to be a teacher in Georgia? 2 Answers as of February 09, 2011

I'm about to graduate college in Georgia, and in 2010 I was arrested for disorderly conduct in Georgia. The arrest was by local county officers, not state. I hired a lawyer, and got the case dismissed and expunged. In my applications to different schools, they all ask, "Have you been arrested, even if charges were dropped?" So my question is, do I have to disclose my expunged arrest? I'm under the impression that you can legally claim an arrest never happened if it is expunged. Also, will this expunged arrest still show up on an FBI background check even if it does not show up on a background check from the police station? And if it will show up on the FBI check, do I need to disclose it in my application? Thanks for any help.

The best advice I can give to you is to contact the attorney who handled the expungement for a consultation about the expungement. Without actually seeing the documents, it is difficult to give any definitive opinion. Good luck!
I would disclose it, because it will show up on an FBI background search. Law enforcement has access to expunged records. So, if the question is: HAve you ever been arrested? The only truthful answer is: YES, but the charges were dismissed and expunged.