Do I have to cover someone's medical bills if I accidentally caused an injury? 29 Answers as of December 07, 2011

The guys hand was broke now we have to pay for the surgery and everything else. I offered that day to take him to get his hand x-rayed. He declined and then two days later took himself to the ER and found out it was broken then had to have surgery to put pins in it. I offered to help pay and have paid him $300 so far. Now his next bill he wants me to pay is $1030 and that doesn't included surgery bills yet. He said he will sue me if I don't pay all of his bills. When is enough enough?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
You can be held liable for causing another to become injured. It appears as though you admit to having injured the other guy; the question is whether or not you were negligent when you injured him. There are not enough facts mentioned for any lawyer to say one way or the other. We would need more facts to be able to really answer your question with any confidence. And to answer your question, enough is enough when a negligent person who is liable pays for all the damages.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 12/7/2011
Touchstone Law Firm, LLC
Touchstone Law Firm, LLC | Dmitry David Balannik
If his hand was broken while you played basketball (or any sport) together, probably not. If you broke his hand by driving over it in your car, probably yes. The answer very much depends on the circumstances, especially in Maryland. In Maryland, if a court finds that there is contributory negligence on the part of the victim, the victim is not entitled to recover.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 12/6/2011
Mouton Law Firm
Mouton Law Firm | F. Edward Mouton
Quite likely you would be held responsible if the injury was your fault, in most circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 12/5/2011
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
If you have insurance covering whatever caused this difficulty, notify the carrier and have this person contact the carrier. If you do not have coverage, see a PI attorney and bring whatever records you have.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/5/2011
Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
Yes. Turn claim over to your auto or home insurance carrier.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/5/2011
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    If you caused the injury you are liable for all damages reasonably incurred. Do you have homeowner's or renters insurance? Or an umbrella policy? Any of these may cover you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/5/2011
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC | Daniel Kiss
    You should get a lawyer immediately so that you don't have to pay whatever this guy decides you owe. It sounds like you have an informal agreement to help him with some of the bills, but not all. An open-ended agreement like this is ripe for abuse by the other party. You may not be to blame as much as he thinks. Or you may not be liable for the injury at all. There's nothing to stop him from suing you anyway. Please talk to a lawyer before paying any more money to this person, no matter how much you wanted to help in the beginning.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 12/3/2011
    Law Office of Joshua Pond | Joshua Pond
    The key phrase you use is "accidentally." If, in fact, it was a pure accident that you injured his hand, then, no, you should not be liable for the damage done, but whether or not something is the product of negligence or pure accident is often tough to determine and left up to the court.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 12/3/2011
    Gilbert & Bourke, LLP | Brian J. Bourke
    You do not detail how you caused this injury, but if you have homeowner's insurance, you should call them to defend you since that type of insurance carries a general negligence coverage for negligent acts you commit that are not automobile related.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/3/2011
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    If you were at fault enough is all of his bills plus pain and suffering and wage loss and whatever his losses were. If you were not at fault you owe him nothing.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 12/3/2011
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    If it is your fault, you are responsible for all of his medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Without knowing the extent of his injuries, I cannot say how much this is. Depending on how the injury happened, you may have insurance that would cover this (for example if it was an automobile accident). Also, you say it was your fault. Usually this means you were negligent. If you were not negligent or did not breach some legal duty owed to the other party, you would not be responsible at all.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    The Kelly Law Firm, P.C.
    The Kelly Law Firm, P.C. | L. Todd Kelly
    You should turn the claim over to your insurance company. That is why you have insurance. You said you caused the injury and the hand was pretty obviously broken in the accident. Ask yourself if the innocent victim should pay or if justice would require that the at-fault driver do so.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    If you negligently caused someone else to be injured, at the least, you are liable for that person's medical expenses. However, the facts you stated are insufficient to determine negligence, but there is an admission by you that you caused the injury.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Depends. What happened - If you broke it, you fix it.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C.
    Joel H. Schwartz, P.C. | Steven A. Schwartz
    The answer to this lies in the details. I would need to know how the accident happened and how you contributed to the injury. There would have to be negligence or wrongdoing on your part in order for you to be responsible in any way. An "accident" is not necessarily the same as negligence.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    When he has finally received all of the treatment necessary to treat the injury your negligence caused.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    You broke it, you bought it. You don't say how this happened, so I can't comment on insurance possibilities.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    Kirshner & Groff
    Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
    You don't have to do anything but he can sue you and if successful he can get a judgement against you for his costs and pain and suffering etc.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    When you have been negligent and injured somebody else, you owe for all the damages you caused, including medical bills, lost wages, pain & suffering, emotional distress & mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, etc., etc., etc. If you have insurance coverage, you should notify your insurance carrier immediately. You need a defense attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    T. Mack Taylor LLC | Mack Taylor
    You can be sued for an injury if you committed an act of negligence against the other person and you may be liable for the resulting damages (that is his medical bills).
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    Law Office of Jared Altman
    Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
    I am wondering why you think that you are responsible for his bills. Don't give him a dime. Let him sue you if he wants. The most he can get is $3,000.00 in small claims court. For more he'll have to hire an attorney who probably won't want to take the case if you don't have insurance. If you do have insurance, let them handle it. Tell this guy to take a hike! You can't afford to pay for surgery anyway. That'll be thousands of dollars.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/2/2011
    Eftekhari Law Offices
    Eftekhari Law Offices | Ehsan Eftekhari
    If you had insurance, turn it over to the insurance. If you are paying him, you need to get a receipt from him and finally have him sign a release. You are responsible ultimately.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 12/1/2011
    Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
    You are responsible for the injury you caused. It is "enough" when his injury is healed.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/1/2011
    Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
    Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
    It depends on what you did. If you were negligent or reckless, the law will require you to pay for everything that is reasonably necessary to repair the damage you caused. However, if it was simply an accident in which no one was negligence, you may have a valid defense.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/1/2011
    Holzer Edwards
    Holzer Edwards | Kurt Holzer
    If you were negligent in causing an injury than you are responsible for the damages you caused. Its called personal responsibility.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 12/1/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney