Do I have to bring in my FMLA note every time I call in? 1 Answers as of May 19, 2011

I have a FMLA form from my son’s doctor. My job is harassing me when I miss work saying I got to bring a doctor note. Every time I call in they bring me in the office and saying my son is not sick and I’m making it up, I need to know do I have to bring a doctors note every time I call in.

David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
Assuming you qualify for FMLA leave, i.e. that have worked for more than one year, and in that year 1250 hours and your employer employs more than 50 employees within a 75 mile radius of where you work, and finally that your son suffers from a legally serious health condition, assuming all that, what you need to do is apply for FMLA leave, if there is such a process, or if no process is in place, then put the employer on notice of your need for FMLA, but it is an open question about needing a doctor's note every time you are out. If there is no process in place to apply for FMLA at your company, i would get the doctor to write on note explaining what your son's condition is and how often it could be that you will need to miss work. Keep in mind that you only get 480 hours of intermittent FMLA leave (that is the type it would appear you are in need of) before your company can then fire you for absences. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.