Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to sponsor my mother if I am a legal resident? 3 Answers as of June 13, 2011

I have been a legal resident in the U.S. for almost 20 years and I have lived in the same State for the past 18. Can I sponsor my mother for an immigrant visa with my permanent resident status, or do I need to become a U.S. citizen first in order to be able to sponsor and petition for her to come live in the U.S.? Also, if I do become a citizen, how long does it take, on average, for the sponsored family member to obtain the visa number?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Only US citizen may petition for their parents for immigrant visa. The process may take up to 1 year or more depending on the country where she lives.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/13/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Yes you must be a citizen to file for your mother. The process takes approx. 6 months.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/13/2011
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Only U.S. citizens are eligible to petition for their parent(s) to live permanently in the U.S. A U.S. citizen must be at least 21 years of age to petition for a parent. Lawful permanent residents may not bring their parents to live permanently in the U.S. You should become a U.S. citizen and that can be done relatively quickly depending in your jurisdiction. This answer applies to all states in the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: