Do I have to be an international student to change my immigration status? 8 Answers as of June 02, 2011

I'm getting married to an American, over the summer, does my status change? Do I have to attend school in August as an international student?

If you are here in the US with a legal visa (understand entry) then you will be just fine. Once you become a USC's immediate relative, any MINOR offense such as overstaying your visa will be forgiven as a matter of fact. If you have this locked in, you don't have to do anything just make sure you DO marry and file for adjustment ASAP. Good luck!
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
Depending on your current status, you may be able to adjust your status to that of a conditional green card once you get married to a US citizen. I would need more information to answer your question and let you know what your options are. Feel free to contact me by phone or using the contact form on my website.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Your status does not automatically change. If you intend to reside in the United States, then right after you get married, your American spouse should file petitions for you: the I-130 (application for permanent residence, "green card") and I-485 (to adjust status while in the United States). Otherwise, you may be in violation of your student visa status. If you do not intend to reside in the United States, you do not have to apply for a permanent residence. Be aware that the next time you re-enter the United States on a student visa, USCIS may regard you as an intending immigrant, because you are married to an American. As far as attending school, you need to discuss this with your school's registrar. It may be that as the spouse of an American, you will qualify for paying tuition as a state resident. Keep in mind that you may have some duty to your home country, if you received financial aid to study in the USA. Check with your sponsoring agency before you marry.
You are generally not required to attend classes in the summer. If you marry and file the permanent residence petition, you will not need to attend the fall semester, if you choose not to. Please note it takes 90 days to get the EAD and AP after you file.
Once you marry and file your family adjustment petition based on your spouse petitioning for you, then this is your new status.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
    If you are marrying a US citizen you can apply for your green card. For more details speak with an immigration attorney. For a free consultation you may contact my office.
    Verdin Law Firm, LLC
    Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
    Once you get married, you can quickly file for an adjustment of status. Once you file, you won't have to attend school. Best of luck.
    Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
    Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
    You are eligible to adjust your status to lawful permanent resident due to your marriage to a U.S. citizen. Your immigration status will change. You should consult with an immigration attorney immediately to start the process and get guidance and avoid making costly mistakes. Feel free to call us for a consult.