Do I have to apply for citizenship if I am a permanet resident to collect welfare? 1 Answers as of June 20, 2011

My unemployment ran out and I still can't find a job. Recently I applied for welfare (general assistance). I am receiving a little bit of cash and food stamps. I have worked all my life, and I am a permanent resident. Being single, and having no money I had no other choice to apply for welfare. Now they tell me I have to apply for citizenship. I want to but I don't have the money for the forms. How can I continue to get welfare?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If you are otherwise eligible for citizenship there is a fee waiver you will likely qualify for. See N-400 and the rules for I-912 (fee waiver).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: