Do I have to appear in court on the date on the summons? 5 Answers as of August 19, 2011

Recently, I received a summons for being in a public park after its closing. I was given the slip of paper, and little information by the officer, which left me with many questions. Must I appear in court on the date on the summons or can I appear earlier (as the officer told me I could)? Will there be a fine to pay if I plead guilty? Are there any pros/cons to pleading not guilty? Will this appear on any sort of record? Do I need to dress appropriately in going to the court? Thanks in advance.

Generally you have to appear on the date or sometimes you can appear before that date.Check with the court.if you plead guilty or go to trial and get convicted it will stay on your record. However, you should hire an attorney to try to get you an ACOD- adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal-which means the case is adjourned for 6 months and if you do not get in trouble the case will be dismissed.
You should call an attorney in your city to advise you if you need representation or if you can change the date of the appearance to make it more convenient for your work schedule. You will probably have the case dismissed and not have any criminal record, but an attorney will sometimes be necessary to make sure that you do not have any record at all, not even for a violation or an arrest.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
It depends on the charge and the court. However, if you retain our office we can appear for you and you will never have to come to court or come to our office.
Yes, yes and yes. You must go to court, you must make a plea and you should dress casual but neat. No shorts, sandals or sleeveless shirt. The fine will probably be about $50.00 and the only one who ailments know will probably be the police.
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
A lawyer can advance the case usually but I'm not sure if you can. If you can't be there on the date given, a lawyer can appear for you. You could be looking at a small fine or a judge might grant an Adjournment In Contemplation of Dismissal meaning it would be adjourned for 6 months and then dismissed and sealed. Regardless of the outcome, I doubt this will ever show up. If you go to Court, you should dress nicely.