Do I have a time limit to file my order to show cause? 1 Answers as of July 07, 2011

My wife filed first but I served her the papers first. We already have a mediation date and court date. Do I have a time limit to file my order to show cause? Would she get anything by default even though I was the first to complete the initial paperwork?

If you already have a mediation set and a hearing ("court date") set, it is more than likely that your wife already filed an Order to Show Cause, but hasn't served it on you yet. You should go on your Court's website and look at the case summary for your case. If there is an Order to Show Cause on calendar (which would likely be the only reason that there was a "court date" set), you should go to the Clerk's office and purchase a copy of your wife's Order to Show Cause, her Income and Expense Declaration, and any other documents that she filed that you don't already have (her Response to your Petition, and what else?). You would best consult, if not retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you in your divorce.