Do I have a suite for a slip and fall case? 11 Answers as of March 10, 2014

When I get up to go to restroom after eating lunch I didn't see any wet floor signs posted out on floor and slipped on floor after an employee just moped floor behind me where I was sitting with my back to him and I was wondering do I have a case? I was so embarrassed and what made it worse is that the employee laughed at me while dropping a sign next to me and holding out his hand to help me up. No I do not work there and have been trying to get there RGM to contact their insurance comp but she just keeps avoiding me and my calls. What can I do about this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/10/2014
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
This is obviously a poor employee who either doesn't understand loss prevention or doesn't care. Either he need retraining or to be discharged. As for you see a lawyer because you are going to get nowhere with this restaurant.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 3/10/2014
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Slip and fall cases are, by their nature, difficult. First, you must be able to prove negligence on the part of the property owner/occupant. Negligence could be defined as the failure to use REASONABLE care; the owner is not a guarantor. To do this, you must be able to prove that the owner put the slippery substance there, or that they had prior knowledge of the hazard and failed to take care of it promptly. Second, they will claim comparative fault, meaning that you had a duty to watch where you were walking, and thus are partly at fault. The result is that most lawyers are reluctant to take a slip and fall case unless there are substantial damages, and there are at least some arguments to be made on the question of fault.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/7/2014
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
You very well may have a slip and fall case. If they are going to ignore you, and you want to pursue the claim, you really have no choice but to get a lawyer. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 3/7/2014
Ty Wilson Law
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
I am sorry about your fall. Often times falls are embarrassing, especially in front of another person. If you did not work for them then you potentially have a claim, however you have not mentioned if you received medical treatment for your injuries. In fact you have not mentioned the injuries other than embarrassment that you suffered. If you were physically injured you will need to seek medical care on your own. Get examined and figure out what the extent of your injuries are so you know what you are dealing with and if you need to push forward with the claim, which will likely include hiring a personal injury attorney? If you are not physically injured, the embarrassment alone will limit the value of the claim. You may want to take them to small claims court, however unless you have a physical injury you probably do best to put this behind you and not deal with the often frustrating, time consuming, expensive litigation costs. I am sorry for your fall and wish you luck moving forward with your decision.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/7/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    You do not state that you were injured. Keep in mind, the courts are very busy with people who have broken bones, been confined to wheelchairs, have permanent catastrophic injuries, etc. If it's just aches and bruises it really isn't worth pursuing even if they are liable.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/7/2014
    Hobbs Law Group
    Hobbs Law Group | Kristin E. Hobbs
    Hopefully you took some pictures. If you were injured in this, firstly make sure you have seen a doctor to get treated. If there are some injuries, you should consult with a personal injury attorney to see if the case warrants an attorney's involvement. Most of us offer free consultations and take cases on a contingency so there is no need to wait.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/7/2014
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You will need to have a physical injury to recover if the property owner was negligent.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 3/7/2014
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    You haven't said anything about being hurt, only embarrassed. You will get nothing for hurt feelings or being embarrassed. If you are really hurt see a PI lawyer for a full review.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 3/7/2014
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    If you were injured you may have a case if can establish restaurant was negligent. If not injured and only embarrassed, it wouldn't be worth the time to pursue. They probably could be shown to be negligent under facts you describe and question then is damages(injuries). The Statute of Limitations is 2 years from date of the fall.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 3/7/2014
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    It sounds like it to me.....hopefully you have not been injured very badly.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/7/2014
Click to View More Answers: