Do I have rights to attend my fiancés child's school for open houses, and other such functions though we aren’t married yet? 2 Answers as of November 02, 2017

We are getting married in March 2018. We are currently engaged and I've heard about FERPA. Does FERPA apply to us even though we aren’t yet married? We have the kids 50/50.

The Gufford Law Firm, P.A.
The Gufford Law Firm, P.A. | Joseph Gufford
It is somewhat hard to answer the question with these limited set of facts. Are you on the child's birth certificate or is there some type of order in place regarding paternity/child custody. If so, then that would establish you as the legal Father of the subject child. If not, you might want to get the same put in place via court order of Paternity. If you are on the child's birth certificate, that presumptively establishes that you are the legal father of the child. However, I would think that regardless of status, the Mother can consent to you participating in school conferences etc.
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
You can learn all about FERPA by doing an internet search. I do not think that it applies to you.