Do I have the right to see my adopted mother's will? 6 Answers as of July 11, 2013

My adopted mother passed away when I was 15 and my aunt said that I am not entitled to see the will because I was adopted is that true and if it isn't how do I go about it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Schreiber Law Firm
The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
It is not a question of relationship, but if you are named as a beneficiary. If you are named as a beneficiary, you are entitled to what the will says you are to be given, regardless of whether you are related by blood, adoption, or just a friend.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/30/2011
The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
First, a will is supposed to be filed with the county courthouse after a person passes away. If your mother has passed away and your aunt is holding the will and not filed it, she is in violation of the Illinois Probate Act. Second, if you were legally adopted, you have all of the rights of a naturally born child. Regardless of that, if you are named in a will, you have the right to review it whether or not you are the child of the decedent or just a friend.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/30/2011
Martinson & Beason, PC
Martinson & Beason, PC | Douglas C Martinson II
That is not true. As an adopted son, you have all the legal rights of a child as you are legally a child. Since you were a minor, the will should have been probated and an attorney would have been appointed as your Guardian ad Litem to protect your interests. If the will was probated, it would be on file with the Probate Records in the county where your mother died or had property. I would be happy to discuss this with you further, just let me know.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/30/2011
Benari Law Firm
Benari Law Firm | Arik T. Benari
It's not true. Once you're legally adopted you are her son and a rightful heir.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 6/30/2011
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
An adopted child has the same rights as a natural born child. If you suspect something was done improperly, see a lawyer. A will would have been probated in Probate Court. That is a public record. Anyone - you included - can go see it. Additionally, if she died before you were 18, you may have additional rights.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/30/2011
Click to View More Answers: