Do I have a right to a key to my deceased father's home? 3 Answers as of September 26, 2016

I was named trustee of my late father estate which include the sale of the house. My brother who lives there supposedly taking care of it so no one will break in does not want to give me a key. He changed the locks on the house before my father even passed. I had to bring him to live with me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
If the court has appointed you then your title is administrator or estate representative [trustee is for trusts]. If you are only named in the Will but not yet appointed by the probate Court you have very little power to do anything. Assuming your brother is not paying any rent, you should give him a thirty day notice of eviction, as he is too arrogant. He does not own or rent the house and has no right to change the locks, let alone not give you a key. He will be a major pain in the neck and you will not be able to work out any settlement.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/26/2016
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Yes, it is your job to manage the trust assets, as successor trustee. You certainly should have a key. You must always act in the best interests of ALL beneficiaries. You should have an experienced lawyer helping you with trust administration, in order to pass clear title, take care of creditors? obligations, etc.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/23/2016
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
Yes and you have the right to evict your brother.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/23/2016
Click to View More Answers: