Do I have grounds to file a civil lawsuit against my employer? 9 Answers as of May 13, 2013

I was fired from my job illegally and rehired after 3 months of fighting with them and proving they were wrong. In the meantime I have lost my house because the loan company would not work with me. I lived there for 9 years and never missed a payment or even been late. Now my credit is ruined, I have been embarrassed and I will never be able to buy a home again because I am 62 years old. I want to file a civil suit against them but I am not sure what to do or if I even can. Please give me some advice. My anxiety and depression over this is devastating to me.

KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
The State of Mississippi is an employee at will state. This means that you can be terminated for any reason that is not discriminatory. I would suggest that you seek guidance from the EEOC and see if there are any grounds for a suit. Also, understand, that if you file a suit, you will likely be unemployed.
Loren Lambert
Loren Lambert | Loren Lambert
Not enough info. Why were they wrong or how was it illegal?
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
There is no wrongful termination suit in Georgia
Unless you worked for a governmental agency, I would not hold out a lot of hope of prevailing. I suggest you call the Idaho State Bar and ask for a referral. There are so many factors that go into this type of case that you must talk with counsel before proceeding.
Kenneth E. Lauter, PC | Kenneth E. Lauter
Would need to know what was your employer's given reason and hidden, unspoken, motive for firing you before I could advise. Also, what steps did you take during your 3 month battle to regain employment?
    The Niskar Law Firm, PLLC
    The Niskar Law Firm, PLLC | Joey Niskar
    You indicate that you were illegally terminated. To answer your question, I would need to know: (a) how the termination was illegal (i.e., what law did the employer violate), and (b) did you sign a settlement agreement with the employer in which you released it from further liability?
    I need many, many more details. Generally you have no property rights in your job, if you can quit, they can quit you.
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    You need to contact an attorney and provide all your information and documents to determine if you have any viable claim.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    I am sorry that you have this problem. However, it seems highly doubtful that you could blame your employer for all of your financial troubles. Without knowing more about (a) why your termination was purportedly illegal, (b) the terms and circumstances under which you were rehired, and (c) the nature, extent and duration of your financial problems, I cannot advise you on this matter. It sounds like your financial problems arose long before you were terminated by your employer and then rehired. It is hard to believe that you lost your house in such a short period of time (three months)-foreclosure proceedings often take years. Further, I doubt if you could prove that your three month loss of employment was the proximate cause of your financial problems. Further, if you sued your employer, you probably would lose your job again. Perhaps there are unusual circumstances here of which I am not aware which would give you a good claim. You should retain legal counsel to review all the facts and circumstances and advise you.