Do I have a good defense for small claims court? 2 Answers as of January 12, 2011

I am in the state of Colorado. I signed a written contract with a roof contractor that indicates my $1000.00 deductable is waived and they are now taking me to court to try and get roughly $500.00 from me that I do not owe them. It does appear that his numbers on what I signed do not reflect my insurance companys estimate and looks like this is money that they should be requesting from my insurance company and not me. I wrote the roofing company two payment checks reflecting the exact amount that came to me from my insurance company. The original conversation was that I would not pay anything out of pocket and they even offered me $500.00. I never got the $500.00 and tried to get it after a period of time but gave up and do not really care about it anymore and now they are trying to get money from me. The guy has a lawyer and I am asked to appear in court. I assume this is small claims but do not know how to tell from the paper work handed to me. I do not care about the $500.00 that he promised me and I am satisfied with the job done but I do not owe them a penny and would like to be prepared for the court appearance and understand how this works. First of all if I even have a case here. Thank you for your help.

Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
You should prepare to counter their arguments with any documents you have or other information you have. Maybe consult a lawyer to help you prepare.