Do I have a good claim against a company that promised me two years of work and then let me go? Posted on January 26, 2011

I was living and working in NJ at a position earning $176,000. I was contacted by a Utah organization about a VP of Sales and Business Development position with a start up part of their existing non-profit organization. They offered me the job at the same salary as my previous position and verbally stated that I would have "two years to get the business up and running." This statement was made by the President of the company clearly, repeatedly and publicly at the time of my interview and up until two weeks before he decided to shut the division down. I made my decision to relocate to Salt Lake City based on the promise of two years, as I clearly stated it would take that long to get the business going. The company moved me out here and I rented an apartment and purchased the furnishings expecting to be here for two years. Basically they shut down after only four months. They have stated that it is not because of my lack of skill or abilities. It's simply a budget issue. What can I expect for a settlement? Do I have any legal grounds at all since this was not in writing - although clearly part of a verbal agreement?