Do I have full child custody? 4 Answers as of July 01, 2011

I have never been married to my baby's father and we do not live together. His name is on her birth certificate and she carries his last name but I do not want him to have rights to her as he is a drug addict and is very violent. He has recently been threatening my life and I am scared. The police have been called out once so far and they say there is nothing they can do and that I have to let him have my 10 mo old daughter when he demands it. Please advise me on how to proceed

Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
He does not technically have any rights until the paternity of the child has been established by the Court. While his name on the birth certificate creates a presumption that he is the father, he does not have any real rights to visitation or time-sharing until you have been to court.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
Unless there is a court order giving him specific rights and time with the child, you do not have to give him the child if you are genuinely in fear for the child's safety and well being. And if he is threatening you as well, then you may want to consider an injunction for protection on both you and your child's behalf.
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
Every child has a father. unless you get a lawyer and prove to a court he is unfit he has rights to the child.