Do I have a case of wrongful termination and can I sue the company? 9 Answers as of March 12, 2014

Hello. My recent employer let me go. They told me I'm being let go because I am not a good worker and because I don't get along with workers who are lazy and because one of my coworkers made a police report that I took out a knife on him at work and threatened him but owners checked the cameras and had no proof because I never did that. Coworker just wanted me fired so they assumed he was telling the truth. They didn't give me any kind of warning which when I was hired, they told me I get warnings before being terminated. So I'm trying to file for unemployment and I think they are trying to fight it for some odd reason. I'm wondering if I can sue for wrongful termination? They've fired me on the spot no warning or anything and I was a good hard worker NO ONE ever complained about me not one customer. I was a good hard worker, the best and they let me go just like that. The HR just came and said as of today you're being terminated and said thank you and I left.

Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
There is no general law about wrongful termination. However, if the motivating factor to fire you was your age, race, sex, national origin, religion or medical condition, you could have a legal claim.
if you were a employee at will you are most probably out of luck. Generally, if you can quit, your employer can quit you.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
MS is an employment at will State, so they can do what they did. You should certainly apply for unemployment, since you did not voluntarily leave your job.
Borrelli & Associates, P.L.L.C. | Michael Borrelli
First, you need to understand that there is no general claim for "wrongful termination" in New York. The term wrongful termination implies some sort of cause of action for "unfair" termination. Wrongful termination must be based on some illegal motive for wrongfully terminating you. In New York, that means that your employer had to be motivated by a discriminatory animus, or a retaliatory animus. You may have a claim for libel and/or slander against your co-worker for telling lies to your employer that caused your termination.
No, you cannot sue for wrongful termination and win. They did not terminate you because you are a member of a protected class.
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    Make a written request for your personnel records. Immediately contact an attorney.
    License Advocates Law Group LLP | Christine McCall
    These facts will not support a successful claim of wrongful termination.
    WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
    You have no case, since wrongful termination suits are not permitted in Georgia. For more info, Google this: Georgia, employment at will. You likely are eligible for unemployment compensation benefits, but you will need a good attorney experienced in unemployment law to win this. Do not go to a hearing without a lawyer.
    Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
    Generally speaking, without a contract you are an at-will employee and can be fired for even no reason at all. If they did not have good cause for firing you, you should be entitled to collect unemployment compensation, assuming you otherwise qualify.