Do I have a case if the person who broke my TV and won't pay for damages? 8 Answers as of February 06, 2014

A guy was at my place and was acting like a fool and was swinging a phone charger that popped off and broke my large screen TV. I have been waiting for him to pay me. So far has only given me $80 out of the $575 my TV cost. Said he was unable to pay because he went on a suspension from work. Has made no further efforts to pay. Is this considered destruction of property and do I have a case if I want to bring him to court to get my payment?

You can take him to small claims. However, without a job he still will not be able to pay you.
Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
You can take him to small claims court. If he is laid off, you will have a hard time collecting.
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
If you have apartment or house insurance, you might be able to make a claim on it. It's a good idea to have replacement insurance on all your household belongings. If not, you might be able to file a small claims case. However, the guy probably has no money to replace your TV set, and taking him to court is not likely to make him have more money. You may or may not win in court, but even if you do, the chances of being able to collect the money are very slim. It sounds like the guy was being careless and accidentally harmed your TV set. Since you invited him into your home, you bear at least part of the responsibility. Don't let just anyone into your home, and don't allow just any type of behavior. It looks like you have learned this very difficult lesson the hard way.
From what you have written, you appear to have a case against him for negligence. I suggest that you take him to small claims court.
You can take him to small claims court and then garnish his wages, bank account, etc. for the money.