Do i have a case against people who I bought furniture from and it wasn't delivered? 5 Answers as of August 15, 2013

I bought furniture from a person on Craigslist. Paid for 1/2 and 1/2 was delivered. Paid for the remainder and had a set date for delivery. I made a contract staying what I paid for and amount and also our agreement. He signed with his name, address, and drivers license number. This began on May 29. Has agreed 7 times since to have it delivered on specific times. I have waited and waited and he or his wife hardly ever responds until much later with a stupid excuse. I gave them the final deadline for tonight at 5. All day I have been given promises to have it to me by then. I waited at storage for an hour and a half until 7:30, and no show. Told them I was done, no more "nice girl". I work at a law firm (reception), but not sure if I have any rights to this stuff. I threatened them with legal stuff, and they won't respond. I know, I was stupid for paying (it was $200 total), but they delivered the first half and I trusted they would the 2nd. Just wondering if I have legal rights before I asked an attorney at work.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
This is outside my area of law so this is not legal advice but rather advice from someone who has had the similar thing happen. For $200 there is not a lot you can do. Sometimes the frustration of trying to get the money back is not worth it. I know getting beat is frustrating but sometimes it happens. I would suggest that perhaps in a non confrontational way you and at least one witness, go to his house with a truck and demand the furniture. I would also send him a letter from one of the attorneys is the firs threatening to sue him if the furniture was not delivered in 2 days. Chances are that he sold the other half already to someone else.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 8/15/2013
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
Based upon the small cost of the furniture your best option is to sue them in small claims. You had an agreement that was not satisfied. If you have something in writing then you have a better case, but small claims is your only real option. You can contact your local city for the paperwork or can use Legal Zoom.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/15/2013
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
This is not a patent question. You should talk to one of your firm's lawyers.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/15/2013
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Yes, you have a claim against the sellers. Ask an attorney for assistance. You probably can file in small claims court and do most of this yourself.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/15/2013
Michael M. Ahmadshahi
Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
You can sue them in small claims court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/15/2013
Click to View More Answers: