Do I have a case against my friends landlord? 5 Answers as of August 11, 2011

I was wearing wedged flip flops, and fell off my friends stoop the other night. The stoop is not really cemented properly, has no railing, and most of all, is dark. I drove myself to the Emergency room of the closest hospital and found out I broke my foot in 2 spots. I am going to be laid up, with a heavy cast on for 6 weeks and there's a 90% chance I may need surgery! Do I have a case against her landlord? (her family rents the house) This has cost me a lot of emotional damage, along with all of the medical bills my insurance wont cover! Thank you..

Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
It sounds like you have a case.
Yes. You have a case. Consult a personal injury attorney.
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
A negligence case can be brought against the landlord if it can be determined that he was negligent as defined by the state laws of New York. There are many contributing factors in bringing a lawsuit. You should contact a lawyer to discuss the particular circumstances of your case.
All property owners are responsible for keeping their property in reasonably safe condition. If the landlord knew or should have known of a hazard and failed to take steps to correct it, even though he had time to do so, then he can be held legally liable for injuries that could foreseeably result. Of course, evidence for all of those factors will be required.
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
You may have a case against the landlord - hopefully the landlord has insurance. I need a better understanding about the defect that caused the fall. The lack of railing could be a building code violation depending on whether the stair is used for ingress and egress.