Do I have a case against a man who sold me an unsafe car in a private sale? How? 7 Answers as of September 15, 2015

Do I have a case in small claims against a man who sold me a 1956 Chevy without disclosing major problems with the car, and lied about the condition of the car? This was a private sale. According to a certified mechanic, the car was so unsafe to drive that it endangered my life and anyone sharing the road with me. I have proof that he was aware of these problems. I would like him to pay for the new part and the cost of labor to replace it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Sure you have a good case but you need to show knowledge or reasonably should have know declaration by mechanic under penalty of perjury stating that, cost of repairs, proof of purchase price. Check if your state has any Lemon Law statutes for car sales. If the amount you paid is less than the cost of repairs the judge might only award the lower amount. The Court can only award money and can not order that the prior owner make the repairs. Make a demand on the seller for a specific amount of money. There are at least two books I know of about how to win Small Claims cases in California go to your local public library.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/15/2015
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You purchased a 60 year old vehicle, but wanted guarantees, are you for real?
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/15/2015
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
More than likely there is no case here against a private party/
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/15/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
You violated all the rules. A used car, without having your own mechanic inspect it. Not from a certified dealer. The ONLY way you can sue is if you can prove fraud.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/14/2015
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
No. You were NOT injured. You sustained NO loss. Absent fraud, you have no claim.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/14/2015
Click to View More Answers: