Do I have any way to keep them as I cannot afford to move the cat that is 13 years old dog is 17? 4 Answers as of February 20, 2014

I have lived in apt complex for 10 years with my dog and cat, have paid all deposits, received letter stating have to get rid of one of them. I have the same landlord as when moved in. I am not an owner that does not take care of my pets. They also put in a letter that if I am gone for more than 24 hours, they can enter your home and take your animals after the 24 hours.

If your lease has expired and you are month to month, your landlord has the right to renew or not renew your lease and that can include new terms as to the pets. As far as entering and taking the animals, that would be illegal. They would have the right to evict you if you were in breach of the pets clause but they must go through proper channels.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
What does your lease state? If you have no lease they can change the rules on 30 days notice. You can go to court and try to obtain an injunction preventing them from taking these actions.
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
This will not work in New Jersey. If you were previously granted permission for pets, you have permission for pets. The rule allowing for inspection if you are gone more than 24 hours will also not be considered a reasonable rule.