Do I have any time to get out of a newly signed lease for a house to rent? 13 Answers as of March 21, 2013

I found a better house and want to get out of this lease. They say I signed something that states that I wouldn't do this. They did not inform me of any such document or why I was signing it.

Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
You need to check your lease. The main reason why parties sign lease to know how issues will be address during the term of the lease. Your landlord agrees not to rent it to someone else and you agree to a take the house for a length of time. You need to look at the termination clause to see what the damages are to leaving the apartment early.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If you signed the lease agreement you will probably be obligated to pay the rent for the term. If you leave to go live in another place you take the risk that the landlord will pursue you for lost rent.
AyerHoffman, LLP
AyerHoffman, LLP | David C. Ayer
A lease is a contract which obligates you to pay rent in exchange for the right to possess the property. You are obligated for the full term of the lease (usually one year). You have every right to rent a second property, but you will still be obligated to pay rent on the first one. You may be able to get out of the lease, but you can expect to pay rent until the landlord finds a new tenant. You may also be subject to other fees such as those for brokers involved in the rental to you.
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
Generally speaking if you sign a lease that commits you to rent the location for the term of the lease. If you decide to break that lease, you are in breach of a contract. Generally speaking the landlord can hold you responsible for the rent due for the length of the lease or at least until it is re rented or for the reasonable period of time it should take to re rent it. This makes sense because once you have signed the lease, the landlord will stop trying to rent it to anyone else.
This depends on the law of the State you live in. Before you do anything, talk to a lawyer. And do that soon.
    Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
    Finding a better place would not be a sufficient basis to terminate a Lease, before its scheduled termination date. The Lease itself is the document that creates your obligation to pay rent during the term of the Lease, and unlike certain other consumer contracts, California law does not give you a brief period of time following your execution of the Lease to back out, unless the Lease itself gives you such a right. In order to back-out of the Lease, you would need to come up with a better reason, such as being able to prove that the Landlord engaged in conduct inconsistent with your right to peaceful possession or California law on habitability requirements.
    Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
    You are bound by the contracts you sign, unless there are independent reasons to nullify them, so as incompetence or duress.. If you had any concern as to what the contract said or your obligations, you should have consulted with a professional.
    Reade & Associates
    Reade & Associates | R. Christopher Reade
    A lease becomes binding upon execution. There is no waiting, cooling off or rescission period.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    Everything depends on the language of the lease you signed, so you need to review it. A good real estate lawyer can help you find a way out possibly if the landlord has not done everything it promised. You could also tell the landlord that you will not enter the house, and the landlord has a duty to try to find a replacement renter to minimize its damages.
    Neil J. Lehto, Esq.
    Neil J. Lehto, Esq. | Neil J. Lehto
    There's no privilege to break a lease you signed simply because you found a better house even if you haven't moved in yet.
    The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
    Did you sign a document? If so, did you read it?
    Law Office of Rebekah Sass
    Law Office of Rebekah Sass | Rebekah Sass
    A lease is a contract, that is the document that you signed that indicates that you would not back out of your end of the contract. You can give thirty days' notice and the property will have to re rent the apartment if they are able to do so. Can they come after you in small claims court for any damages they have (such as if they have a few months that they were unable to rent the place), yes they can.
    Winnick Ruben Hoffnung Peabody & Mendel, LLC | Daniel N. Hoffnung
    Did you sign a lease? If so, you may be bound.