Do I have any rights on my father’s money because I know she is lying? 2 Answers as of June 05, 2015

My father died last month. I am the oldest of the children. After he died my ex-stepmother tells me he didn’t have a will and that he had me taken off the $500 insurance policy two weeks before her died. He was under hospice care at home for the last month of his life. Now she has moved somewhere and says I’m out of any money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
You can open an estate and demand that she turnover the assets. If there is no will under Nevada law you would be entitled to a share of his separate assets. You would have to contac the insurance company to see if the beneficiary was changed and when. If he was not competent when the change was made, you should notify them of that.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/5/2015
Goldsmith & Guymon
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
In Nevada, even if there is a Will naming you as the 100% beneficiary, the surviving spouse is entitled to all of his estate if it is valued at $100,000 or less. Thus, she may be correct. Retain an attorney if you want the specifics of your case reviewed. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/3/2015
Click to View More Answers: