Do I have any recourse if my boyfriend took money from my bank account without my permission? How? 15 Answers as of August 07, 2015

My boyfriend and I live together. He has access to my bank account password and has gone into my account and taken money without my approval or consent. Do I have any recourse, or am I just out of luck?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
If he is not a joint holder of the account, and he took money from it without your authorization, he would likely be committing the crime of theft. You could notify law enforcement. However, if you gave him the password, he could claim that you gave him general permission to use the account. Unless you had some other evidence to show that you did not give him general authority, the police probably won't act, and your chances of success in a small claims lawsuit are less than 50:50.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/7/2015
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Who picked that boyfriend? Who still thinks that boyfriend is an asset in her life?
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/7/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Dump his butt and sue him for the theft. He isn't your boy friend, he is just a guy who is screwing you.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/7/2015
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
You could make a police report and/or sue him if you like.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/7/2015
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
Report him to the police and sue him in civil court.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/6/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    It will depend on some details which you have not provided, simply because you gave him the password does not give him rides to take money it will. On the other hand, if you have allowed this to happen in the past and do nothing about it it will be much more difficult for you to recover. See an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    Ask boyfriend to repay it or you will file a police complaint.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Call the police and file a misdemeanor theft report. If he might say he took the money to go buy you drugs, then it might be cheaper and better to get a new boyfriend. If he is your ex, call the cops today. They may be able to get a search warrant for his phone and computer, have them analyzed, and if they find any child pornography, he'll do 5 years in federal prison. Would that be Justice?
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    First call the police and report the theft. Otherwise it will be deemed as permission. If he took the money the bank may have some exposure for giving it to the wrong person if they had reason to know it. There may be a defense that you left the info to someone with access to it. Hopefully he is no long your boyfriend.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    Usually there is a 60 day rule as far as the bank is concerned. However, you can still sue him (Small Claims Court?), and you can make a complaint to the police or prosecutor if you wish criminal charges.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    You can sue him for conversion (taking your property). I don't think you can go after the bank. You have changed your password, right? Right? Changed boyfriends too, I hope.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    You probably don't have any recourse against the bank, depending on the paperwork you've signed with them, but you may have a claim against your boyfriend. I would certainly take him off the account or close it down and open another one just in your name. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You can take him to small claims to get your money back. You should also get a new boyfriend or change your password.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Well it is certainly a crime, given the facts you state, and you can ask that the local police investigate and see if the Prosecutor will prosecute. It is certainly possible that if a case is brought that a Judge would issue an Order that the boyfriend pay you back. It is also possible that the threat of you bringing the police in, would give the boyfriend impetus to pay you back? But it may also get him riled up, so carefully consider how to handle this. Have you asked for the $ back, maybe that's all it will take vs. criminal prosecution? You also can sue him civilly, perhaps in Small Claims Court depending on the amount taken. If you win, you would get a Judgment telling him to pay you back. If he did not, you could garnish his wages or attach his assets to obtain payment of any Judgment. You may also have some rights against the bank for the unauthorized taking, but maybe not if he was able to use your login information as the bank would not know it was not authorized or not you taking the $. This is less likely, but possible depending on the exact facts of what occurred. Certainly you would want to change your password, login, etc. so this could not happen again.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/6/2015
    Novakov & Associates, PLLC
    Novakov & Associates, PLLC | LINDA S. NOVAKOV
    Change your password. Never share your password with anyone.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Replied: 8/6/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney