Do I have any recourse if a manufacturere stole my idea for a product? 1 Answers as of June 02, 2011

I know you can't copyright an idea, but if I developed an idea to the point of seeking investors but did not actually make or patent the product and then shared that idea with an employee of a well-known manufacturing/distribution company, which then produced the product, do I have any recourse? Could I have pursued any course to legally protect my idea before it was an actual product?

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
Generally, you can protect your confidential information with a contract. In addition, if your confidential information qualifies as an invention and is patentable, you could apply for a patent. However, absent a contract relationship or a patent which covers your invention, you don't appear to have any recourse. If the timing between the disclosure allows for the filing of a patent application, you may still attempt to file a patent application, but i don't have enough information on that matter. You could try to contact up the individual or company and ask them to do what is fair and see if that gets you anywhere. Good luck.