Do I have any recourse for a potential libel case? 2 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I have a competitor in another state that is telling customers who are contacting him regarding a 'price match' guarantee he has just announced, that my business is not a legitimate business here in the State of California.

He stated to several people via emails (which have been forwarded to me by surprised customers) that because I run my business from home, and my business is registered here in the State.

We have been registered with the County since 2006, a fact that is easy to search online.

My worry is that I have possibly been affected financially by him doing so. Would a cease and desist letter from an attorney be my best initial step in having him stop this.

Interstate libel is difficult. The cease and desist letter would be the first step, then locate a libel specialist attorney.