Do I have any other options to avoid a judgement if I cannot pay my credit card the way the company wants it? 4 Answers as of October 18, 2013

I am being sued for an unpaid credit card balance of $800.00. I called the company that bought the debt and they wanted me to pay it off in 2 monthly installments to avoid a judgement. I told them that I could not do that, but I could pay it off in 6 monthly installments and they refused to accept that.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
They do not have to accept a payment that is less than full amount so they are in charge here.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/18/2013
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
You could probably get the kind of deal you want with a lawyer helping you. The lawyers and collectors have the upper hand on you in court because they know how the system operates, and if you do not know what you are doing (and its real easy to mess up) you will find yourself having a judgment against you. If you have a judgment against you, they can garnish wages or go after bank accounts or other assets. So right now, while you are trying to negotiate this on your own, they have every advantage on you. However, if you hire an attorney (and my firm does this kind of work in a very cheap and affordable way) you will see that they will sing a different tune. An attorney knows precisely how weak their case really is, and knows how to attack it to the point that they really don't want to take the matter all the way. You can probably find yourself getting that debt discounted a little bit too. In sum, contact our firm for a free review and we can get you the kind of payout deal you need.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/18/2013
Kevin H Pate
Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
You may not be able to avoid a judgment if they will not work with you. See a counsel versed in representing debtors on how best to protect yourself via exemptions in your jurisdiction. Or find the money from a relative or friend.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 10/17/2013
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
You have the option of defending the case. Debt buyers can prove very little, including their own title to the debt. Do not assume that the debt buyer owns the debt (there are enough instances where it proves not to). Tell the court you want a trial date and a copy of each purchase agreement starting with the original creditor and ending with the plaintiff.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/17/2013
Click to View More Answers: