Do I have any legal rights if I was given the wrong medication and I ended up being in a coma for 1 day because of this? 9 Answers as of February 28, 2014

I'm on a methadone program and was dispensed someone else's take home bottles. I was comatosed for a day before I realized what had happened.

Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Well sure you have options. A lawyer will need to sit down to discuss those options.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Adler Law Group, LLC
Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
If the action was unreasonable you have a civil claim. Also you can file a complaint with the state medical board.
Medical and dental malpractice claims are, by their nature, very difficult. Under California law, it is necessary, before filing suit, to obtain an affidavit from another professional, verifying that he has reviewed the medical charts and has found that there was negligence. This can cost several thousand dollars, and most attorneys expect that the client will cover this cost. Negligence could be defined as the failure to use REASONABLE care; not all bad outcomes are the result of negligence. You should also be aware that there is a cap on the amount of recovery for pain and suffering, thanks to the doctor lobby. Sometimes one has a good case theoretically, but the damages are too small to warrant a suit.
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
You may have a claim if can prove negligence. See a med/mal lawyer to be sure. Statute of Limitations is 2 years from reasonable discovery of the claim.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
Yes, assuming that you were hospitalized for this, or otherwise can prove the severity of your reaction, as well as that you were, in fact, given the wrong medication. If you can show these elements, the matter is likely worth pursuing. FYI, sometimes, such matters are is against pharmacies, for improperly filling or labeling the medication containers.
    You have a claim against the party who gave you the wrong medication.
    Probably. Depends on who administered the medication and under what circumstances. Investigation will be required. Contact a lawyer in your area to discuss in detail.
    It takes a medical expert to answer your question. Medical malpractice lawyers typically have such experts available. You might consider consulting one, but I suspect that your damages are not severe enough to warrant the expense of pursuing a claim and the potential recovery.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    What permanent injury did you sustain?