Do I have any legal recourse if I injured myself in a culinary accident in Oregon? 2 Answers as of January 05, 2011

I live in Oregon, and am currently attending college culinary school. I had my hand injured to the point of stitches because a mixer did not have its guardrail put on it and it cut me. Can I take legal action because of my deep cut?

Harris Law Firm
Harris Law Firm | Paul Vames
If you can prove that the mixer malfunctioned due to a defect in its design or manufacture, you can pursue a products liability case against any company or individual who designed, manufactured, distributed, or sold the mixer.

If you can prove that the mixer was negligently maintained, you may have a negligence claim against any company hired to maintain or repair the mixer or potentially one against the school.
Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
You may have a claim against the school and/or the manufacturer if the device should have been equipped with some sort of guardrail. They can be difficult cases because the cost of pursuing the claim often exceeds its value. You will want to speak with a personal injury attorney about your prospects.