Do I have any chance of pressing charges on my ex huspand for assault if I never filed charges at the time? 2 Answers as of August 09, 2011

My ex husband spent 3 years abusing me in many ways, but I never pressed charges (even the few times the police were called) because I was afraid of what he would do to me and my family. Since I left him, I have been told that there is nothing I can do because I didn't press charges at the time of any of these assaults. Is there legally anything I can do to put this violent, psychopathic rapist behind bars where he can never hurt me, my family, or anyone else again?

Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
If I were you, I would go to the police department in the jurisdiction where the acts of abuse occurred and ask to speak with someone about filing a complaint. It will be up to the police whether or not to pursue criminal charges. Good luck.
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
Sure. You can go to the police now and explain the situation, but the delayed reporting might hurt the prosecutor's case. However, if he has hurt anyone else, or if a new victim has surfaced, they might appreciate the reporting. Separately you could bring a lawsuit against him for the "tort" of assault/battery. But this would be a lawsuit in which you would bear the burden to prove that he assaulted you, and that those assaults resulted in injury. Without medical records or photographs that would be a very difficult case to prove.